Thursday 3 January 2008

101 Philosophy Problems Part 0

Just before Christmas I got a book by Martin Cohen called 101 Philosophy Problems. Martin Cohen is apparently the editor of The Philosopher and a "lecturer" - whatever that means, he doesn't actually work at a university, but then, since I'm not really sure if "philosophy" is a real discipline anyway I'm not sure what to think about that.

Anyway, so far as I'm aware none of the problems he addresses are original (although all of the little fables that introduce them probably are) so I'm going to go through the book and post my thoughts on the problems as I go along. I'm mostly doing this because I find some of Cohen's answers very unsatisfying - not just in the sense that they don't answer the questions, but in the sense that they don't even seem to notice why the question is interesting.

I'm not entirely sure it's legal for me to do this. I'm fairly sure it should be though. I'll discuss that in more detail if and when I come to problem 32... The next post will be Problem 1.

No comments: